Tuesday, June 12, 2007

cinque terre

I had a full weekend. Friday in Tuscany for a field trip with my food class, Saturday in Cinque Terre, and Sunday in Florence.

Friday:
We left at 6:30 am for out field trip. We stop a cheese farm and factory, a winery, and then went to a farmhouse. At the farmhouse we cooked a 7 course meal which we subsequently ate. It included bruschette, spinach and parmesan ravoli, some bread/tomato soup, gnocchi with ragu, fried potatoes, chicken, and tiramisu. It was wonderful! Then we went to Florence and checked in at our hotel.




Saturday:
We went to Cinque Terre early in the morning. There we hiked between the five cities for a total of 5 hours. The views were so beautiful that pictures dont even do justice - most beautiful place I've been. One minute you feel like you are hiking through the rainforest, then the Italian coast, then through Colorado, then through a Central American town, then an African jungle. Just great. And while on the trail I ran into 3 guys I know from BYX at UT, it was so random but good. I knew they were backpacking through Europe but not where. Then we relaxed on the beach and I swam in the Mediteraenean!






Sunday:
We explored Florence and I was able to actually go in some museums. We went through the Bargello which had Donatello's David and some minor works of Michaelango. Then we went to the Duomo Museum which housed alot of old pieces from the duomo. It had the Ghiberti's bronze doors, Michaelango's Pieta, and Donatello's Mary Magdalene. There was also John the Baptist's finger - weird. Then we went inside the actual duomo - breathtaking with the high ceilings and art. Then we got on the wrong train home and went 4 hours out of the way - only bad thing about the weekend.





all my pics from the weekend:
http://utexas.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2277207&l=5e35c&id=7905232

http://utexas.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2277224&l=0e3d8&id=7905232

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love cheese.